3D Printing




For the final I decided to create an ITP robot. This print is composed of multiple parts: the head, the body, two arms, a foot and a base. The only part that is detachable it the head. I also included two LEDs for the eyes.

I decided to create a new design because I was not truly satisfied with my previous idea.






The first challenge I had with the final project was coming up with a design that I was happy with. after several drafts of project I found myself satisfied with this project. Secondly, as I was printing several printers broke in the process, and they happened to be the ones I was currently using.  I also had complications with my print. During the printing process, parts of the print raised from the bed of the printing causing it to move as the printhead added a new layer.














For this assignment I decided to make a 2-piece print that could snap together. I chose to use Baquiat’s face.

The first step was to mirror his face. I also decided to adjust some of the points from the drawing by turning on the points. I mirrored the shape across the y-axis.







From here I extruded the curve and created a solid. Next I created a box and placed it within both parts of the face. Then I performed the “BooleanUnion” command and joined the left half of the face with the box.

After I subtracted the volume of the box from the right half of the face (BooleanDifference). The result is below (was a whole in the the right side of the face.)



Below is the original 3D print (far left) and two models that I printed of the above object.


I printed a total of three prints because the first two prints had a hangover  at the location where the left print is supposed to insert into the right. To accommodate for this problem I included a support system so that there would not be a resulting overhang.


I had fun with this week’s assignment. I 3D printed a sketch that I previously created in Illustrator. In order to make this sketch printable I had to make it a solid. I this that by extruding the curve (“ExtrudeCrv”) and making that a solid.

Below is the image I had drawn in Illustrator. It is an image of both Jean Michel Baquiat  (left) and Tupac Shakur (right).

Believe is the second version of the image. I wanted to make Tupac look more realistic.

From that image I was able to trace the outline of each face and create a shape. Next, I patched the surface to make it 2D (“Patch”). Then I extruded the surface to make it a solid. (“ExtrudeSrf”).







The hard part was done and I printed it. I loaded the image into the Cura software to print. Then I sent it off to the 3D printer. Below is the final product.


My challenge with this project was that some of the 3D sketch did not print. This was because the width at some places were not large enough to be printed by the printer.


This week’s assignment was to model an object (can be useful or just for fun) that is composed of at least 2 parts that fit together.

The object I created for this assignment was a refrigerator. The first step that I did was create a box. I knew this would be the foundation of my fridge.

My next step was to create the handles of the fridge. I did this by creating three smaller boxes. I mirrored each of then across the axis where I had split the box. Then I joined each of the handles, respectively to either the top or bottom half of the solid.  (Note: I think it would have been easier to create the complete top handle and then group those solids and then mirror the handle).

Then, I created a line. My hope was that this would be used to slit the fridge in half. I then realized that this would not work since the object had to pass through the box.So, I created a rectangle and then carried out the “patch” command which filled the rectangle. Next, I positioned the new rectangle in the middle of the refrigerator so that it would bisect it (horizontally). And then I carried out the “Booleansplit” command. This then cut the solid in half.






After that I had to figure out how could I make the two pieces fit together. To do this I decided to create another box within the two boxes. Once I completed that, I joined the top half of the fridge to the box that was inside both sections of the fridge.

Then, I decided to perform the “BooleanDifference” command to make the the “fit” happen. What I realized was that once I did this, one of the solids would delete. So, I decided to duplicate the piece that would delete (copy and paste in the same exact position). When I did this the once section would delete and the other would remain satisfying the assignment.







3D Sketch

The first assignment for this class was to create a  3D sketch in the program Rhinoceros that can be printed. I enjoyed the challenge of this assignment. For this sketch, I decided to draw a car. The difficulty I had with this assignment was figuring out how to make my image 3D.

The below image shows the 4 major stages of my 3D model from a top, perspective, front and right view.


This image is a close-up on the “Perspective” view. The first stage (top left) was a wireframe outline. Initially, I was not sure how to create the car in 3D. So, I figured I would start by drawing the outline. I then moved to stage two (top right) of the sketch. Here, I used shapes that I was familiar with to reflect the sketch that I drew. I assumed that I could create various solids, join them and then trim them so that they can look like my wireframe outline. I found this to be hard for me to do. And I thought there could be an easier way to do. Therefore, I moved to the next phase.

In the next stage (bottom left), is the actual sketch that I would use to print. I had a bit of help. I used the first sketch and joined shapes to close the object. Lastly, I moved to stage 4 (bottom right) and I just enlarged the image so it can be larger when I print.